Policy on Responsible Lending
As a responsible lender, we commit to you that this loan product abides by all applicable laws and that we strive for the utmost level of transparency and fairness.
- Not for all financial needs: This loan is designed to help with your immediate cash needs. It will not solve your long-term needs and refinancing will result in additional charges. We encourage you to (1) borrow only what you need and can repay and (2) shop the marketplace until you are convinced that you have found the best possible solution. You may choose to consult a consumer credit counseling service for other options.
- Transparency of costs for your loan: The cost of credit will be clearly disclosed to you in terms of the dollar amount of interest and the APR according to the principles of federal truth in lending law and regulations. For details on the specific costs of your loan, please see our Consumer Cost page and your loan agreement. We will never charge you any "hidden fees" that are not fully disclosed in the loan agreement or the Loan Cost & Terms.
- Right of rescission: If you change your mind about the loan, you may rescind your loan at no charge as long as you return the loan proceeds within the number of days specified in your loan agreement.
- Implications of late and non-payment: If you don't make a payment on time we will attempt to contact you via one or more authorized methods, including phone calls, e-mails, and text messages to arrange for payment. All of our collection methods will be in accordance with the principles of the federal Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA). In addition, we may re-present any returned payments to your bank in accordance with applicable law and regulatory requirements. If we are unable to reach you or we are unable to collect against your debt, we may place or sell your debt with third-party collection agencies. However, we only contract with collection agencies that agree to follow the FDCPA. Furthermore, since we may report loan payments to one or more credit bureaus, late or non-payment of your debt may impact your credit rating.
Responsible renewals and refinancing options (sustained use): This loan is an installment loan, which means that you don't have to pay it off all at once like a payday loan. Instead, you can either pay the loan off according to the terms of the loan agreement or pay it off early to save finance charges. If you become eligible, we will notify you of any new loan options you may have. We will not change your loan without your express permission pursuant to the terms of your loan agreement. We strongly encourage principal reduction and early payment to reduce your finance charges.
- We will restrict your ability to renew or refinance your loan after you have had an outstanding balance with us for a period of 36 consecutive months. After you have paid in full the outstanding balance of your loan account, you may apply for a new loan. Depending on the payment method you choose, it may take 1 – 3 business days to process the payment that brings your account balance to $0.
Compliance with laws:
We are a tribal lending entity wholly owned by the Rosebud Sioux Tribe of South Dakota, a sovereign nation located within the United States of America and operating within the Tribe's Reservation. As such, we abide by applicable tribal lending laws and follow the principles of applicable federal lending laws where they don't conflict with tribal sovereignty. These laws include (but are not limited to):
- Electronic Fund Transfer Act
- Equal Credit Opportunity Act
- Fair Credit Reporting Act
- Fair Debt Collection Practices Act
- Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act Privacy Requirements
- Truth in Lending Act
- Telemarketing Sales Rule
- Contacting us: We always provide a physical address, a toll-free phone number, and an e-mail address so that you can reach us in the most convenient manner for you. We strive to respond to your mail, calls, and e-mail in as fast a manner as possible so we can quickly answer any questions and solve any problems you might have. Please see Contact Us for details.